woensdag 24 april 2013

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 3: Stash Statistics

There are many ways of conveying information on a blog; text and images being the two most widely used. Many infographics combine both these elements to provide a visual way of presenting text information.

Make your own infogaphic (no fancy imaging software needed, you can draw it on paper and photograph it if you want) to convey any element of your craft(s). It can be just for fun or a thoroughly researched presentation of an idea/finding.
Source: Eskimimi Makes

About two years ago, infographics were quite a rage. Do you remember icanhazcheezburger? With the kitty pictures? They also had a daily infographic post, some were graphs, others were pie charts. They were amazingly funny.

So when I saw the topic for today I really wanted to do something funny. It was a bit hard to come up with a good one though! And even harder to decide on just one theme!

One was a graph in which the age of a woman was set out against the amount of baby items she makes. That would be graph quickly rising after 30.

Another thing I thought would be fun to put the amount of crochet hooks owned by a crocheter against the amount of hooks she/he really owns. I think we all know how that would look ;)

But I decided to stay with the Stash. Just like yesterday!

In my years on Ravelry I have seen so many yarns, in all sorts, thicknesses, yummyness, you name it.

Also there has always been some rivalry between two groups. I would call them the yarn "snobs" and the yarn "dreamers".

Both groups have one thing in common: they all drool on the luxury yarns. But one group will not be caught alive with a huge ball of Red Heart Yarn, and the other group sighs, and goes to Target for that same ball of Red Heart Super Saver, just because the luxury yarn is out of reach (either because of the cost or having kids, etc.). So, when the "Flash your Stash" topics were opened, I could clearly see both groups. Amazingly luxury stash neatly put into giant cupboards, but also huge under bed baskets with acrylics.

But this really wasn't an issue for the "snobs" and the "dreamers". When there were getting more and more "What kind of yarn do you knit your socks with?" topics, that was when the bickering started... I think you know what I mean!

Why the strive? Why be jealous? I don't know, but I am a practical kind of crocheter, but I also have a hint of a yarn snob in me. I think we all have, don't we? I drool when I touch a ball of silk/alpaca/merino yarn. Delicious! But I will pick up any ball of cotton or acrylic with just as much love. I think the "dreamers" dislike the "snobs" because they have a bit of a stiff upperlip in them, but I also think the "snobs" dislike the "dreamers" because they are maybe envious of their practicality.

This is ofcourse all written with a bit of tongue in cheek :) you do understand right?

Here are my infograhpics for today: Snobbery versus Practicality.


 
The Wollmeise is actually a yarn I would not care for, but I think you know what I mean. Look at all the yummyness! I would roll in my stash!

But in reality?

Quite a difference! But after making these infographs, I would not trade my stash for the world. It is a great stash. I just "dream" on..... :) 

P.S.: Want to read more Knitting and Crochet Blog posts from other bloggers? Put the tag "4KCBWDAY3" in Google or another search engine and see what they are writing about! (this is only for day 3, I will update the tag everyday)



3 opmerkingen:

  1. Deze reactie is verwijderd door een blogbeheerder.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oops I am a snob and hook with the same yarn over and over and over again - a hand dyed hand spun cotton. So scrummy. Lovely graphs and

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx