maandag 16 juli 2012

Slowing down, clearing my mind...

The first week of my summer holiday went by. I am finally able to say that my head is getting clear, my body is relaxing and the stress is released.

I had so much stress built up in my body, unbelievable. I would never guess I could feel so cramped up. Last week was really about letting go, rummaging around the house, chase the kids and clearing my head.

It worked.

To give you a bit of a view how I felt last week I use these three cards from my beloved Osho Zen deck. Osho was a buddhistic zen monk who teached mostly about love and laughter. These cards are not a traditional tarot deck. They do not "predict" but show you messages on which you can meditate. Their drawings and colours are magnificent.


I just picked the three cards that would symbolize "me" the last week. I am really sorry, the pictures are a bit blurry because of the shiny-ness of the cards..


Jup, totally me at the beginning of the week. I was exhausted. I slept a lot, and luckily Little Lady joined me most mornings with sleeping in till 8 or 9 a.m. I was no fun at all. The muscles in my back, shoulders, neck and even in my legs were very cramped up. A yoga session helped loosen it up a bit.


 O yes, we really slowed down last week! 
The Knight of Rainbows is a reminder that, just like this tortoise, we carry our home with us wherever we go.
Take it easy, this card says.

This figure walking in nature shows us that beauty can be found in the simple, ordinary things of life. We so easily take this beautiful world we live in for granted. Cleaning the house, tending the garden, cooking a meal--the most mundane tasks take on a sacred quality when they are performed with your total involvement, with love, and for their own sake, without thought of recognition or reward. You are facing a time now when this easy, natural and utterly ordinary approach to the situations you encounter will bring far better results than any attempt on your part to be brilliant, clever, or otherwise extra-ordinary. Forget all about making headlines by inventing the latest widget, or dazzling your friends and colleagues with your unique star quality. The special gift you have to offer now is presented best by just taking things easily and simply, one step at a time.

I could not have said it better. We live in a world where the time goes by so fast with the things we think are "necessary" and "obligatory". I think we have to look more to our kids: happy with the little things. Like a kid with a big box. To us, it is just a box, ready to throw away. To kids it is a hiding place, a boat, a plane, a train, and house. We really do not need all these material things. And of course, making peace with your messy house is something I really need to work on!

The meaning of this post is to show you that holiday time for most teachers is not a "luxury" or a "treat". We really need it. To refuel, to declutter from the past schoolyear, and to study for the curriculum of the upcoming schoolyear.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx